Pages

2013-01-08

Pro tempore

Learning curve. There are some books I can read and re-read over and over again, and even though it seems I know every twist of plot by heart I each time find something new in them. There are also some books I've read once, enjoyed them at the time, but most probably will never pick them up again. And there are also books, which have to be read in their due time, that is there are some books you start reading and put them down unfinished and never go back to reading them again; yet some I put down the first time round, only to pick them up and read them some time later, discovering that a book which at first seemed to be all wrong/boring/not my kind of book now IS. Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde could be a good example of books I once thought were of god damn awful sort, but now have a blast of a time reading them. It's like some things click with you just from the very beginning and stay with you for longer or shorter period, and some must grow right, or you must grow right to enjoy them.

Killing some time. Usually I do not watch TV but instead opt for watching shows, etc. on-line. Pause function and cut out ads make for a much better TV content viewing, don't ya think so?
As I've caught some cold right before the last weekend and had to cancel some plans for going out, I had some time to kill between sneezes ;) What better to do with one's time when not well enough for anything else, but to watch some TV, huh? Some six years ago I've come around this strangely captivating and somewhat disturbing sci-fi/mystery/crime genre BBC series 'Life on Mars', which were later remade by US TV into a much worse series under the same name. This November a Russian remake came out, which I wanted to watch but could not find time for that before. So this 'get well soon' sort of weekend turned out  to be just what I needed spare time wise, and managed to catch up with the series. Surprisingly, Russian remake 'The other side of the Moon' (Obratnaya storona luny) turned out to be a really really good and strong one. Even more surprisingly, while most of remakes are worse than originals, this one just isn't. To some degree it's even  better than 'Life on Mars', and that speaks volumes IMHO.
Denial pro tem. People are always suspicious with change and new things, and I belong among those suspicious ones too. While for a year long we had to undergo this preposterously long process of being on sale, every one at work got really tired and irritated about this whole everlasting uncertainty. We've met 2013 with the sale process finally finalized, but not an inch wiser of what would become of us under new owners, and what are their plans for the company. So yet another year started with a certainty that today's status quo is nothing more than just a short break before yet another changes, and not pleasant ones as I see them, not at all. A small voice in me tells me that it is high time to update my CV and start looking for another job, but the ever hopeful optimist (or fool) in me stubbornly claims for more patience. Which ever is going to prove right does not matter at the moment, fact is that I find myself in some state of denial - things I do not like are piling up, but the good ones are holding me back from moving on too. Two years ago when I took this dead-end position I was promised a decent salary and some challenges. In the end it's just that a decent job, with a decent salary,with no career opportunities, but with more than plenty of challenges which just keep on coming and do not give a chance to relax for a moment, and with such great co-workers and a perfect IMO work environment, that I hate the very thought of having to start looking for a new job. So denial it is. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment